HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER
Exodus 20:12 Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.
Why Honor my Father and Mother?
1. Long Life ( Ephesians 6: 2 ) Honor your father and mother. This is the first of God’s Ten Commandments that ends with a promise. And this is the promise: that if you honor your father and mother, yours will be a long life, full of blessing. Living Bible (TLB)
2. No parent is perfect. Even though our parents are not perfect, God still wants us to honor them.
3. God used them to bring you to the earth without them you wont be here ; God used their DNA to make me a unique person
How do I honor our Father and Mother – Kids
a). Obeying my parents (Ephesians 6:1) Children, obey your parents; this is the right thing to do because God has placed them in authority over you. Living Bible (TLB)
How do I honor our Father and Mother – Teenager – (Young Adult)
a) Respect them (Leviticus 19:3) Each of you must show great respect for your mother and father (NLT)
b) Listen to them respectfully (Proverbs 13:1). Intelligent children listen to their parents; foolish children do their own thing. (MSG) (Proverbs 6:20-23). do what your father tells you and never forget what your mother taught you. 21 Keep their words with you always, locked in your heart. 22 Their teaching will lead you when you travel, protect you at night, and advise you during the day. 23 Their instructions are a shining light; their correction can teach you how to live.
How do I honor our Father and Mother – Adult
a) By not despising them
(Proverbs 23:22) Listen to your father, who gave you life, and don’t despise your mother when she is old.(NLT) (Proverbs 30:17) The eye that mocks a father, that scorns an aged mother, will be pecked out by the ravens of the valley, will be eaten by the vultures. (NIV)
b) Appreciate their sacrifice
c) Make them Happy Make your father and mother happy; give your mother [ the one who bore you] a reason to be glad.
d) Provide for them
What does God say about Widows and Widowers?
a) The Church should provide for them (the Church should treat) older women as if they were your mothers, and younger women as if they were your sisters, while keeping yourself morally pure.
b. Honor widows who have no families. The children or grandchildren of a widow must first learn to respect their own family by repaying their parents. This is pleasing in God’s sight. 1 Timothy 5:8 People who don’t take care of their relatives, and especially their own families, have given up their faith. They are worse than someone who does not have faith in the Lord.
Honor does NOT mean:
• You have no choice
• You should tolerate abuse
• To never confront
• You have to give up all hope of ever being treated nicely
• You should sacrifice your own health and well-being for an abuser’s sadistic enjoyment.
• You should deny your faith and God’s principles
…..about Abusive Parents Luke 17:2 It would be better to be thrown into the sea with a millstone hung around your neck than to cause one of these little ones to fall into sin.